Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Transformation Tuesday - Livingroom Redo on a Budget














I have been wanting to put a fresh style in my livingroom for some time now.  The baby is getting bigger and things need to be easier to clean and maintain.  I also want them to be fun and inviting.  I realized that I still love the foundation of my design.  The furniture and accents are all still great I just need the details to change.  I started with a fabric for a color palette.  Joann Fabrics had a 50% sale on outdoor fabric.  From there I bought what was left of a bolt of chevron.  It's popular right now but I loved this for the colors.  I used that to find other items in the same palette. The chair (a Pier One find) needed a new cushion.  I waited until the end of summer sale and snagged this perfectly shaded orange one made out of outdoor fabric for just $26 from $40!

These are thrift store lamps that I still adore and linen lamp shades from Ross that I together cost me $12.  The table top Homedics fountain that I got with a coupon at the target lived its life and when it stopped working I cut it apart, hollowed it out and made a planter out of it with a few small plants from the Lowes.  A quick fix for under $20.


The lampshade got a facelift with some hot glue and ribbon from the Walmart.  One roll covered both lampshades and only cost $1.89.
I took down my curtains for a cleaner look and the ficus in the corner was a mere $19.99 at the Lowes.  A plastic pot I already had spray painted black was free from the yard.  The weather vane was a find from before.  Home Goods clearance for $9.  The two glass votive holders were Big Lots clearance for $8 for the pair and they sit on Martha Stewart cupcake pedestals from the Macy's, $5 in clearance.
A simple display on the buffet leaves room for the occasion set of keys and a tiny orange birdhouse gifted to me from my brother adds charm.  The miniature houses displayed on the china hutch is detailed in my previous post "Transformation Tuesday - The Bar".
Here's a closer look at my recycled fountain.  It's actually prettier now than when it was a working fountain in my opinion.

This sign was chosen by my husband.  A Home Goods purchase for $12.99.  It was getting lost in the family room and I realized it was the perfect colors for my livingroom.  Free Style!
It's new home is facing the front door.  It's actually concealing an unused keypad for the security system in the house.  Pretty and useful.  Just the way I like it.

When I only buy things I love I am often attracted to the same types of things.  I have collected many items over the course of years and somehow when I bring them all together I find a color story happening.  My mother says it's a gift I have.  I am beginning to believe her.
This adorable house was part of a collection that was at my local Goodwill store.  I scored two houses for $1.99 each.  I saw last winter a little house under glass at the Target and I loved it but I didn't love the price.  I was able to make something similar in my colors for $15.  That was a 50% savings from the Target inspiration piece! 
I love the detail in these little houses.  This one measures 6 inches wide by 7 inches tall.  The roof comes off so if I wanted I could add those battery powered tea lights and add a little glow to the houses.  They are too cute.  I just love them.
This cake stand came painted and was perfect for displaying a little birdhouse from my baby shower with the other two above the china hutch.  $14.99 at Marshalls.
This is an amazing fabric.  I don't have much since it was the last of the bolt.  I have to use it wisely.  A sprinkling around the room should do the trick to add some life to a previously very serious and somewhat boring space.  This fabric brings a smile to my face every time I see it.  JoAnn Fabrics, $10 a yard.
When I redo a room I generally bring every accent into the space that I am considering using.  When I see them all together it is clear to me which ones stay and which just won't go.  Some things just needed a little paint and they were once again perfect.  That's another  Transformation Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment