Friday, September 21, 2012

Changing with the Seasons

It's the last day of summer and I can official wear a scarf or boots without someone staring like I've lost my mind.  It isn't quite cool yet but we haven't hit the 90s like before.  There is a touch of cool in the air at night and if I wasn't being carried away by mosquitoes I would enjoy my front porch most nights.  Although my wardrobe isn't ready for the big change over my home decor definitely is.  I love decorating for fall and was planning and designing for the day when our renovations would allow for decorations.

As you can see by the photo this was an early spring variation on the front parlor/dining room.  The bones of the room have remained pretty much the same.  It's all in the finishes that makes the room feel fresh and new.

After installing new hardwood floors, walnut stained hickory to be exact, we installed larger mouldings.  I think the small planks on the floor provide the illusion of more flooring and in turn more space and the trim is reminiscent of our first home that was built in the 20s.

We have ordered the new 5 panel doors with the crystal knobs but haven't received them yet.  Minor detail but will make a major difference in the space.  We are attempting to create the feeling of a century old farmhouse without losing the conveniences of a modern renovated and energy efficient home.  So clearing the room and resetting the furniture this is what I have to work with.  Not bad. 

I have reupholstered the dining room chairs with a lovely plum ultrasuede and switched up the furniture a bit but the big stuff like the table, sofa, hutch and buffet stay in their assigned places.  I then layer in the furnishing that are constant in the space right now. 
Curtains in white are easy to clean and keep my space feeling bright.  I have the rods hung a little higher so I need a 96 inch panel instead of the standard 84.  That makes for a more dramatic look but also makes finding panels I like in an affordable retail almost impossible.  Ikea is my best bet besides sewing them myself.  I might invest in a second set but for now white stays.
 
The pillow cases have been custom made by my mother and myself to coordinate with the dining chairs.  I love the look of them and the washability is divine with 3 dogs who like to perch among the euro size down filled cushions.  I am looking for a new slip cover for the sofa but I'm undecided on color and finish.  Tan stays for now.

Finally I pull out all the accessories I think might look good in the space and decide who stays and who goes into another space or storage.  I like to keep it cozy and personal.

Since I have no formal entry the buffet is front and center when you come in my large double french front doors.  I want it to draw the eye with interest and tell a story about the family that lives here.  I placed a vintage picture of two exotic birds and a small cloche with a real bird nest and egg inside.  I have a small fountain that bubbles softly and adds a hint of warm light at night that I find soothing when I sit there with a cup of hot tea in the evenings. For the season I have placed several cornucopias around the room that I have made.  I will have some listed in my shop for you to purchase for your own home.  I also have added some large artificial pumpkins and squash and family photos in a collection of gold tone frames.
Our home is always evolving and I am always designing and creating.  I use my home as a place to experiment and be inspired.  This is just the first phase of a seasonal change.  Like the leaves on the trees they don't all turn color at the same time.  It is gradual and constant until it reaches the peak of beauty.  Our plans down the road include replacing the North facing window where the couch currently sits with a fireplace.  That will require a furniture change.  We also hope to redo the powder room in a lovely carrera marble.  Maybe even a walpaper!  We will be ordering an upholstered bench seat as well for the dining table this week.  It's going to be divine.  I am going through my stash of fabrics for the next set of pillow covers for the sofa.  I found one with beautiful exotic birds in warm gold, red, orange and a touch of chartreuse.  It's going to be amazing for the end of autumn and into fall.  I can't wait to show you our progress.

I am seven months pregnant now and the urge to nest strengthens every day.  Our nursery is getting it's floors installed this week!  That means I can finally assemble the room with all the treasures I have been collecting.  So many exciting things happening at the farm.  I hope to get my garden up and running too.  We have the baby shower in November and the baby can be here somewhere between Christmas and New Years.   No time to dawdle there's decorating to be done.  Keep posted on all my latest decorating and party plans by following along as I post these next few months.  Follow me on twitter and instagram.  Look me up and feel free to say hi. Find me as rkfinch on twitter, instagram and etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment