Tuesday, August 28, 2012

When it rains.....



It has been some time since my last post and I have good reason for that.  It's a complicated tale so let me start from the beginning.  It all started July 27th.  I found out that hackers had taken control of my paypal account and thus emptied my personal bank account as well.  While dealing with that my dear husband attempted to install a new dog door in our kitchen wall.  It seemed like a simple task at the time.  It turns out that we had a  busted pipe under the house that caused our dishwasher to fail and rupture the supply line.  How did we not notice you ask?  The tile in our kitchen is raised up and so the dishwasher sits in a tub of sorts where the water collected and wicked up the cabinets and surrounding drywall.  Needless to say we had to get our homeowners insurance involved.  I rented a PODS container and had it delivered that day.  I emptied the kitchen of its contents and gave away my stockpile of groceries...sigh.  I assumed it would be a major undertaking but that is an understatement.

We stayed in the house in the beginning.  Once the tile floor was removed we found that the damage was so much more than we ever expected.  There was extensive mold damage throughout the kitchen.  Immediately we moved out.  Thankfully my parents have a large house and no dog allergies.  Somehow after three weeks it seemed like the house was shrinking.  It can be difficult living with relatives.  Especially when you have been on your own for ten years.  Everyone has their own schedules and habits that make things a struggle.  We all survived with our relationships in tact and I am eternally grateful for the support and assistance.  Who knew it would have turned into this?

I am finally back in my house but I am attempting to live in a construction zone.  I still have no sink, dishwasher, stove or microwave but I do have my new cabinets installed and I just got my dreamy wall ovens installed today!  It's amazing how quickly life falls apart when you aren't home.  I only have three chickens left.  I suspect the pigs ate a few who wandered where they should not.  I think the hawk got a few others and sadly my neighbor found one inside his van.  What she was doing in there we will never know.  I guess she was longing for human company and climbed in while they were unloading groceries and noone noticed.  She is the perfect example of why you should never leave your pets or children locked in a vehicle.  His poor granddaughter was traumatized and begged in tears for us to give it a proper burial.  Heartbreaking.

What started as a simple dog door has developed into a whole lower level remodel.  I am glad it will be done before the baby arrives, a girl by the way, but it's hard to nest in a construction site.  There is still a PODS container and a large yellow dumpster sitting in my driveway.  Oh yes, did I mention we are still running our roofing business and Hurricane Isaac is blowing over this week?  If I was a weaker woman I'd be hysterically in tears now.  If I could I would work in my girl's nursery but I am waiting for hardwood floors to be delivered this week.

In the end I will have amazing results.  Nothing is ever free and even though the insurance company is writing the checks I still pay a price for my dream kitchen.  I stand on the incomplete wood floors looking at my counterless cabinets dreaming of the future.  I see my daughter in her highchair eating as many cheerios as she is sharing with the waiting dogs.  I see my husband grilling and my garden is full of veggies again and not weeds like it is now.  I see my parents coming over for dinner and smooching the baby.  My brother will still be inspecting the details of his handiwork and still complaining how he hates the lights in his kitchen.  My house will be overflowing with love and laughter, just the way it should be.

Until that day I live with plywood floors and most of my furniture in storage.  My house in disarray and takeout packages filling the garbage can.  Nothing is every easy but it's worth working for a better future.  It's like they say "when it rains, it pours".  I have never agreed more.  Most apply that adage to the bad stuff.  I think it's true for blessings too.  I am receiving more than I deserve and I am now in a position where I can share with others all the great things that have been given to me.  When It rains......

1 comment:

  1. Oh you poor girl, your mom hasn't told me any of this. We'll have lot's of time to catch up when your folks make it to the Ozarks. Give xoxo to the baby and the rest of the family for me....Lisa

    ReplyDelete