Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Modern Love Story

Love is such a tricky thing to explain.  It means something different to every one of us.  For some it's a very physical thing.  For others it is an emotional experience.  For some it's a deeply spiritual connection.  All of them are right, if you ask me.  I believe love is all of those things.  It's a need so basic, so deeply rooted inside of us that we can't live without that connection.  Adam needed someone to love and made a special request for his perfect match.  In all his wisdom God made Eve from a sensitive and personal part of Adam.  When Adam saw Eve he was moved to create the first expression of true romantic love when he exclaimed, "At last, bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh".  Today that translates to something like, "you complete me".


Most today don't create such an original and deeply moving declaration of love, but who could top Adam really?  Sadly, in modern times it seems we have lost the importance of REAL love.  People are cavalier and jaded.  No one expects to make a connection so strong that it lasts forever.  In fact, most never do.  It's heart breaking to think of all the lonely people in the world who spend time with ones they are attracted to for one reason or another, but never really LOVE someone. 


Love cannot be defined by conventional standards but you know it when it's real.  A wise man once wrote:
Love is long-suffering and kind. 
Love is not jealous,it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked.
  It does not keep account of the injury. 
It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. 
It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 
Love never fails.

That is not a modern man but a man of ancient times, inspired to write what is still so true today.  How quickly we forget what love really is.  Today love is misrepresented and tainted.  Entertainment would have you believe it is something that it can never really be and so we are never satisfied.  Always expecting something that is a lie, a fantasy.  Love is really a simple concept that we often over complicate.  Love is having your mate create a twitter account to follow you anywhere.  A simple way to show you that he cares about what you have to say.  Even if it has something to do with what you just ate.  Love is going to the store for a loaf of bread or gallon of milk and coming home with flowers, because he can't remember the last time he did and feels really bad about that.  Love is letting you sleep in a little longer.  Love is cleaning the kitchen for you, EVERY MORNING.  Love is doing the laundry.  Love is cleaning the bathroom.

Love is in the little things.  I find those large gestures like banners in the sky or jumbo tron proposals romantic like everyone else, but it's the little things that win my heart.  I'm sure if you look closer you'll find love in your everyday too.  Don't let love be a 1 in 365.  A box of chocolates and a card given out of compulsion feels empty.  The same wise man wrote:

If I have all the faith so as to transplant mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast, but do not have love, I am not profited at all.

No truer statement has been made regarding love.  Appreciate those in your life EVERYDAY for all the ways they show you just how much you mean to them.  Work at it and love will reward you in ways you could never imagine.  Open your heart and love will repay you in full.  I am thankful now, more than ever, for the one person in my life who has supported and encouraged me to reach for my dreams.  The one I turn to for approval and consult when I am in doubt.  I could never love another the way I love this man.  He is the better part of me.  I have given him all the love in my heart and still it overflows with devotion.  I hope you too can have that person in your life who makes you feel the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment