Thursday, August 25, 2016

Pregnancy in uncertain times

As this year started with news of zika in Brazil I was thankful that it was a world away and I had no intentions of having a baby this year.  Well, time and unforeseen events put me exactly where I didn't plan to be.  Pregnant and about 250 miles away from a zika zone.  

In the beginning I was not concerned.  Mild flu like symptoms sounded easy enough.  Then the bombshell, catastrophic birth defects.  We are careful about mosquito control around our house because we have intermittent spraying provided by the county in our rural area.  We dump out any standing water.  We maintain our pool and sprinklers do not leave standing water. Even a bromeliad can hold enough water to harbor mosquitoes.  

Air conditioning, window and door screens, porch fans, are all great ways to keep them out of the house.  Lemon grass, citronella plants and repellants are all in place at my house.  Still, the concern was there about zika.

I spoke to my doctor about our current precautionary measures and our last resort plan.  As it is now known zika can be transmitted between partners and my husband is outdoors more than I am.  Although he is not infected we take measures not to be exposed thru contact.  I avoid all unnecessary outdoor activities which means my pool is not seeing as much action this summer as it would have.  My garden is done for the season and I don't have any zinnia fields this year.  We also spoke with my doctor about an evacuation plan.  If by chance confirmed cases of locally transmitted zika are in my immediate area I will leave to be with family in another state for whatever number of weeks I have at that point in between scheduled doctor visits.  

That is where things get tricky.  In the final trimester we go from once a month visits to every three weeks, then every two weeks and finally every week until delivery.  I may not have the ability to evacuate if it does come down to that.  

I am in no hurry to run.  Home is where I prefer to stay.  My doctor assured me he is keeping on top of all the latest data as well and reminded me that the mosquito that carries zika only travels about a mile radius in it's lifetime.  That makes the spread slow going if people do as they should and protect themselves.  He is confident I will give birth before there is any danger in my area.  

With all that swirling thru my mind I stay indoors and work on what I can to prepare for the baby.  I will be thankful when I can finally hold her in my arms and see her healthy and strong.  11 more weeks of confinement and lots of prayers will be well worth the effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment