Thursday, January 1, 2015

Real life in my living room

I started this year with a new mantra: keep it real.  So here it is. No fuss and frills. Just my real life, flaws and all.  I am always looking to improve so I do plan to paint and rearrange here and there but with intention and a thrifty mentality.  Let's take a tour shall we?

I have a palette of green, blue, tan and brown going on in this space right now.  I had all of the main pieces already.  I didn't realize I had this whole thing until I found some pillows at big lots and suddenly it hit me.  Now my cow makes sense in the room.  It is a bit dark in here still but a fresh wall color will take care of that.  Yes, that is Elmo photo bombing. I move him around often so my 2-year-old is always surprised to see him.  I think she believes he is real.


I had a larger basket making this a coffee table but I like the simpler look of a smaller tray.  The large white basket now sits atop my fridge.  

I've heard plants help air quality in your home. These two are hard at work beside a basket I picked up from the dollar spot in Target.  It's made of clothes line and is perfect for holding coasters and any random bits floating about.


A serendipitous purchase of placemats from Big Lots keeps my table cloth clean a bit longer. Who has time for laundry much less changing the table cloth everyday.


Someday I may style this table but for now it holds napkins, and coloring books.  The limpton tea can holds crayons stylishly and the jar on the bottom shelf holds a can of spray sunscreen.


This little lovely was a request from my husband.  A handy place to hold coats and hats since we have no foyer or hall closet to catch our belongings at the door.

Life is real. I could wish for a magazine living room but with pets and kids and a less than perfect home design we do what we can, the best we can.  Our home may not reflect the popular tastes but I hope it at least reflects the love within.  

I have dishes to wash. Mouths to feed. Laundry to fold. Everyday stuff.  I also have a wonderful family who spent the day with me.  My home is filled with the smells of my childhood while dinner is finishing up in the oven.  It makes me a little misty as memories flow through my mind while I stir my beans and the pork roast sizzles.  I am making memories in the everyday.  Today was a good one to remember. 

1 comment:

  1. I would love to be there smelling the pork roast and beans. Sounds yummy. Can't wait to see your place in person and watch the little one enjoy the home you have made. xoxo to all....Lisa

    ReplyDelete