Thursday, March 22, 2012

A New Beginning


Here we are, it's spring again.  My time in this house is a learning period.  I haven't decided which season I like the best now that I'm at Finch Haven Farms.  I think there are great aspects year round that make this decision so difficult.  Summer gives me sunny days to harvest tomatoes and beans.  Long days mean I can stay outside with the animals another hour.  Autumn cools down, cutting back the mosquito population.  The color change of the trees make me feel like I'm in a parade with cascading confetti as each oak leaf falls.  Harvesting my crops is rewarding and canning and preserving the harvest has it's own rewards.  Winter is the time we have bonfires, marshmallow roasts with the kids and camping in the backyard is a lot more fun. 

Spring is an amazing time of year here on the farm.  The baby goats are born, crying for their mother. The field awakens from it's winter slumber and overnight seems to green.  The trees take their time but when they decide they too come alive with shoots of green and flowers.  For a few short weeks the ancient azaleas bloom in all their glory as if to welcome the spring.  Shades of pink, yellow, cream and blue are everywhere here.  The bees are busily getting to work.  We had a swarm of robins come through just before to announce the coming of spring.  It was amazing to see what easily could have been a hundred birds work the field preparing it for the new growth.  The squirrels are scurrying from tree to tree to find their hidden treasure buried for the winter.  Birds chirp and sing in a symphony of cheerful song.  The enormous oaks that shade the property burst forth with bright green tops.  The only downside to that is the pollen.  Everything is covered with a thick layer of yellow magic dust.  The "worms" that the trees produce fall onto everything.  Just getting the mail means I have to pick them out of my hair.  Real worms, well caterpillars, also arrive in spring.  Last year was an unbelieveable show.  Thousands of fuzzy worms covered every surface and made their cocoons where they pleased.  Since then we have removed some sick trees and it seems the turnout is not as large this year.  I did learn a few things in the process.  I have never before seen a pink caterpillar or a bright yellow one for that matter.  Some had what looked like horns made of long hair and tufts on their backs that remind me of a toothbrush head.  We installed a new back door that now swing in instead of out.  That made it possible to have a screen door which means no flies in the house and hopefully no caterpillar cocoons on the kitchen ceiling.

The temperature is still pleasant.  I would still have the windows open if it weren't for all the pollen.  I forgot how green everything can be outside.  I grew accustomed to the brown of winter.  It seemed like spring would never come and then one morning it did!  Life bursts forth with a showy display as if to say "Don't count me out.  I'm still here".

 I am reenergized and ready to conquer new things.  I'm cleaning off the dust at home and I feel like my shops could use a makeover too.  A spring cleaning if you want to call it that.  I'm planning to reorganize and streamline my look.  In my mind I know what my brand is all about but I think it got lost somewhere in translation to my customers.  I thank goodness there have been those who have purchased my items and seen past my disorganized look.  My inexperience has set me behind and now I have to play catch up with the market place.  I have invested in tools that can make my life easier.  Everything from paper punches to tripods and photo backdrops.  I am a quick study and I am looking to make the best use of them.  I frequently get positive feedback from my customers.  I love constructive criticism.  It can only make the shopping experience better.  I have been told more than once that they loved their purchase when it arrived in the mail.  They thought it was far better than in the picture.  I translate that to a polite way of telling me to get my act together and take better photos.  I hear you and I acknowledge what you are saying.  I have been modeling my own products lately because my lovely assistant has a full schedule right now.  She has her own job and lately our schedules don't seem to line up.  Doing everything is hard work and takes up a lot of time but my family and friends are supportive and understanding.  My husband even makes dinner from time to time despite working a long day in the heat.  I really appreciate all the help and it makes me want to work harder to show them how much it means to me.

I am plugging in to social media even though I swore I never would.  I felt like it was a little self centered to assume that complete strangers wanted to know what I'm doing every moment of the day.  I have since learned there are other things to talk about.  I try to let the public know what I'm working on and when something new is out in my shop.  I have discovered instagram and I love it.  It has made my photos into amazing works of art.  Plus it's a way to keep a log of my past creations.  I love the Etsy app on my iphone because I never miss a conversation now when I'm away from my workshop.  I do need to redo my kickstarter campaign.  I was so nervous I over thought things.  It seemed to come across ingenuine and confused.  I have since collected my thoughts and developed the concept more thoroughly.  I will relaunch and hopefully investors will see my vision.

I suppose this year spring is my favorite season because it represents a new beginning.  A rebirth of sorts.  I have cocooned my self in sadness and self doubt as of late.  It's time for me to emerge from those things and show the world how beautiful it has made me.  I need to spread my wings and be proud.  I have come a long way in a short period of time.  I am in a great place in my life and in my career.  I can appreciate those things and allow it to set me free from my confines of negativity.  It's time to spread my wings and fly.





No comments:

Post a Comment