Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue



I am proud to say that old traditions are a passion of mine.  So many things have been forgotten over the years due to modern convenience and cultural changes.  It makes me sad to see the ebb and flow of fashion sweep some things from the landscape of our lives, never to be seen again.  What happened to the times when ladies got dressed up just to go to the store.  Gentlemen wore suits in their everyday.  Children stayed innocent a little while longer.  It seems so many things that were good are gone.  Some things have made it into the fashion world but haven't translated to the real world.  Dress gloves for ladies.  I have seen them in fashion magazines but have yet to see it on the street.  Hats for all occasions.  Still not what it used to be.

I find so many today are lacking skills that make being a home maker a craft to be proud of.  Most today don't hardly cook a meal without opening a box, bag or can.  At least one item comes from a microwave at dinner.  Housework is just that, work.  Noone takes pride in things like sewing, needlecraft, canning or gardening like before.  More and more I find handmade items, crafted with love, in the discount bin at a resale shop.  It tugs at my heart to see grandma's knowledge and skill for 99 cents.  I wish I could take it all home with me.

I want to personally learn and utilize some of the lost arts.  I have been gardening and in turn canning and pickling my produce.  My husband and I recently butchered one of our pigs and had more than 100 friends over for a down home southern style pig roast.  Everyone brought delicious sides and we provided the meat and yard.  It was a beautiful event but also relaxed.  Our friends were amazed by what we did.  Noone does that anymore.  What's more, young people don't care to try.  I think I'm a young body with an old soul.  The older ones seemed young again sharing their memories with us about the way they used to do these things growing up.  I cherish every bit of insight given to me from childhood stories to old how-to books.  I absorb it all and do my best to honor the traditions.

I do my best to bring these ideals to my shops.  For instance, party hats.  I collect old piece of jewelry, salvaged buttons, ribbons, any little bit that I can't bear to toss out.  Something old.  I then apply them to a felt hat that I encrust with glitter in my chosen color palate.  Something new.  I put them together in a fashion that gives homage to past designs and styles.  Something borrowed.  I end up with a one of a kind creation that is perfect for the customer.  Like the navy hat I made custom for a wedding.  Something blue.  I even apply this principle to finch haven farms.  Some items are vintage and sold as they were originally intended.  Something old.  Some items just feel old, like a print on a fabric or the style of an item.  Something new.  Sometimes I get things from my mother and together we collaborate on how to style our latest looks.  Something borrowed.  In the end we get a whole new look that is modern and vintage at the same time.  Like our nautical collection.  Something blue.

No, not everything ends up blue.  But if I didn't do what I'm doing with these treasures I think I would be the one that's blue.  I feel a sense of purpose.  Almost like a caretaker.  I am a curator of sorts, preserving and sharing these amazing arts so that future generations can benefit.  Check out my shops and see for yourself.  Can you find  the formula for my madness in each item:





                                    Something old
                  Something new
                  Something borrowed
                  Something you


No comments:

Post a Comment