Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Home Sweet Home


I have a confession to make.  This may shock you.  I am a homebody.  I enjoy being home everyday.  I want to have nowhere to go.  I prefer to be doing my own thing here at home.  Why should I be ashamed of this?  Why should I hide the fact that I love being a housewife?  Today's society says I should be emancipated and try to outwork and outearn my husband.  I shudder at the thought of a 40 hour corporate work schedule.  I like the smell of laundry floating through the air.  I make no apologies for who I am.  I wish everyone could understand the appeal to the life I lead.  It's hard work, just without a paycheck.  I am always amazed at women of old.  Baking, cleaning, doing business, raising children and the like.  They were multitaskers at their finest. 

I think being a housewife is a lost art.  Looking at old photos of our grandmothers baking a turkey in heels and pearls wasn't just for special occasions.  It was for a Tuesday night supper.  I wish I had that kind of drive.  I am striving to find balance between modern standards and vintage ideals.  I would love to always have the house clean, dinner ready by six and laundry always done.  I am far from the perfect housewife but to my defense times have changed.  I still have to do my part to make a living, pay the bills, do the shopping, run a business, or two or three.  I also have modern chores, like blogging, checking emails, posting product lines, ordering inventory and supplies.  I have to keep up the house and run the farm.  I have to save our money where I can and that takes it's own time. 

I don't wear pumps and I don't always have makeup on.  I don't wear a corset under a dress everyday.  I don't host ladies lunches for the neighbors.  I don't go the to the grocery store everyday, let alone every week.  I am a modern wife who wears flats more than not and a ponytail holder is my best friend in the mornings.  I forget to pull something out for dinner most days so dinner is always late.  I wear an apron to keep clean not because it's my fashion statement.  I don't iron my husband's shirts and he does a share of the laundry.

I want to be a better version of myself.  I want to be a great housewife.  I want to enjoy washing the dishes.  Sadly, that is going to take some time.  I have a dreamy notion and someday I may get there.  Today, probably not.  My mother is the opposite of me.  She likes the hustle and bustle.  She gets cabin fever if she's home too many days in a row.  I love her zeal but I find it exhausting.  I can't keep up and I hope someday she will understand.  Until then I will continue to be a closet homebody.  Maybe fashions will change in my favor.  All good things come back into fashion at some point.  Perhaps being a housewife is one of them.  Today, probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment