Friday, March 15, 2013

Let's Get Growing!

Spring is here again and it's time to start the garden.  I know it's still snowing where many of you are but here in Florida the days are warming and the evenings cool breeze tells me it's time to start some seeds.  It is difficult to work the ground when you have a two month old baby.  She too is growing and changes everyday.  If you are following me on instagram or twitter (@rkfinch)  you no doubt are seeing the changes in her daily.  She demands my attention and her schedule leaves little room for my activities.  I have found many videos on youtube helpful and with a little help from my mother I have now found a way to keep her happy and my hands free.  It's a well know practice commonly referred to as baby wearing.  I have 5 yards of fabric that I wrap and fold around myself to tie her on like so many mothers working the fields before me. 

Now that I have found a way to work I am slowly getting the garden growing.  I have applied once again for agricultural exemption for my property.  I have lots of money and time invested but I have little revenue to show for it yet.  Hopefully the county will see things my way and grant my request. That will help me get my workshop and barn built quicker.  In the mean time I have added six more chicks to my hen house and planted a few veggies around the house.

I have a variety of bell peppers, hot peppers and mini sweet peppers called yummy bells.  They are perfect for stuffing and salads.  They make great appetizers and hold together when grilled.
We have had great success with tomatoes out front.  The winter crop had to be removed since we had a night of frost that burned the leaves.  We will have some delicious fried green tomatoes with grits and maybe make a relish with the remaining tomatoes.  The replacements are two cherry tomato vines.  I installed two tall redwood trellises for them to climb.  We will see if that works.


I have two planter boxes on the porch railings that I have added a variety of mint plants for tea.  There is pineapple mint, orange mint and peppermint.  I want to add some grapefruit mint and maybe chocolate mint.  We also have a classic sweet mint in another pot.

My husband wanted lavender this year.  Hopefully it holds up.  I have herbs that need planting and I want to add to my collection this year since we plan on doing a lot of eating at home.

The garden itself need a lot of prep work to get started.  I have to weed and supplement the soil for a good yield on my crops.  I have plans for squash, vine type beans, salad greens, potatoes, peas, corn, and carrots.  We will see how many different varieties of veggies I can grow around my house this year.

Hopefully when the weather warms up everywhere we can all spend a little time in the garden.  Here's to getting a little dirt under your nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment