Friday, September 30, 2016

Food is Life


Netflix has been our go to for television lately.  I have been fixated on cooking documentaries.  It was a real awakening watching chefs at work and at home.  People passionate about food.  Not just preparing but growing, sourcing and keeping traditions.  

Some went back to basics while others broke ground on new techniques.  Both were inspiring but I find myself gravitating to their need for wholesome, real food.  

It seems that we have lost the love for food.  What it means to put thought, time and preparation into what we feed the ones we love the most.  Cooking is not a waste of time.  It's not preventing you from living your life.  Cooking is life.  


This week I have been doing my best to put thought and time into making meals. I have enjoyed spending time with my family while being in the kitchen. It helps me to slow down and enjoy the moments together.  After, it seems a waste to eat in front of the tv and we spend more time eating at the table together.  

How can I expect my three year old to place importance on eating and trying new foods if I don't.  Tonight I am making pizza instead of ordering out.  It took a few extra minutes this morning to make the dough, defrost the sausage, and select the toppings but it will be worth it tonight.  Try at least one night a week to make dinner from scratch. Or at least less items from a box or mix.  I guarantee you will like the taste and your family will enjoy the time together enjoying a meal made with love.  Maybe you will want to try my cast iron skillet pizza.  So, here is the recipe. 


1 1/2 cups of flour 
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp active yeast
3/4 cup water

Mix and set dough aside in bowl covered with plastic wrap for approximately 12 hours or until dough doubles.

Grease pan and spread dough in bottom of skillet.  Add sauce and topping and cook on stovetop on medium height for three minutes.  Then place in 500 degree oven.  Cook until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment