Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sunday Special - Gluten Free Calabasa Soup


This past week I decided to do a little experiment.  I have been doing research on how to correct thyroid imbalance.  I am still a nursing mother so most medications and even some diagnostic tests are out of the question for now.  I know I had low progesterone during my pregnancy and I have an enlarged thyroid which is pretty common after labor.  I found that diet and supplements can correct most minor issues.

It seems I have been craving all the wrong things.  Raw veggies like cabbage, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables can hinder my thyroid function.  I have challenged myself to balance out my body with a gluten free diet and supplements.

I take iodine for my thyroid. I have coconut oil everyday and I have removed wheat and wheat gluten from my otherwise healthy diet.  It forces me to think about what I am eating and avoiding most convenience foods which are not healthy to begin with.  I am going to evaluate the results by August 10.  

This is a delicious dinner that my husband made which was gluten free and also vegan.  We grew the Calabasa squash organically here at home but you can buy them in most Latin or Asian markets, farmers market or substitute winter, acorn or butternut squash if you like.

Slice the desired amount of squash leaving the skin on.  We used half of a large pumpkin sized squash.

Roughly chop one large purple onion, and split a whole bulb of garlic leaving the skin on.

Place all the veggies on a parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle with evoo. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in a 350 degree oven.

Be sure to flip your veggies for even carmelization.  When the crescent shaped slices of squash can lay flat when upright it's probably done.  Remove from oven and let cool a bit.

While that is cooling make your veggie stock out of carrots, celery, onion, and an apple(peeled and cored).  Add salt and pepper to taste and a bay leaf. Boil until soft.  Remove the bay leaf.

Now that your roasted veggies are cool enough to handle remove the skin from the squash and the cloves of garlic from the skins.  Add all the roasted veggies to your pot of boiled vegetables in their stock and blend with a stick blender until creamy.  You may want to add some additional seasonings.  Some red pepper flake is delicious.  We added a touch of heavy cream as well but it's not really necessary.  

I garnished with some crispy apple smoked ham and some Gouda cheese. If you prefer vegan add crisp apple and some pepitas.  It's really very versatile.

It even tastes delicious reheated the next day for lunch.  Try it for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment