Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Transformation Tuesday - A front porch makeover

Here's my latest project that you may be interested in seeing.  I had bought this porch swing months ago and finally my husband had some time in his busy schedule to hang it for me.  It is our daughter's new favorite place to be.  However, when I spent some time out there I realized that my porch was seriously lacking in style.  I felt bad for my poor neighbors who have to drive by everyday and see that.

Style tip :  When in doubt take a picture.  Hard to see what needs to be done?  Snap a photo and all the flaws come jumping out.  Then you can get a better idea of what others see when they look at your place.


I realized that first of all my porch needed a good cleaning.  Redecorating is nice but clean is free.  First things first we took everything off the porch and gave it a good pressure washing and bug removal.  Florida may be known for our mosquitoes but we get some pretty nasty dirt dobbers and wasps.  They will completely take over your house if you let them.  Especially if it's a place they feel is neglected.  Sad to say that was my front porch. 

We ran in from the heat and afternoon showers but never really stopped to enjoy the space.  All that changed with the porch swing.  After we removed the filth and unwanted house guests I saw what I wanted the space to be.  It's a gathering place for my family in the cool mornings and it provides a moment to come together and talk about our day over a glass of wine in the evening.

I needed a few places for that to happen.  The porch is divided into three sections.  One area hosts the porch swing and a few accents.  The bird feeders are also on that side for optimal viewing.  The center section is the wide stairwell and front door.  That is the area with the most activity so it needed the most attention.  The fan needed cleaning.  Front doors needed some glass cleaner and a new door mat.  Seasonal wreaths are fun but not a priority at the moment.


Style tip:  An attractive doorbell is like lovely earrings.  It draws attention to the most important feature but never takes the credit.  People don't always notice a lovely doorbell but they never forget a nasty, old, busted one.  Take the time to replace and update.  A clean button with a charming tune says wonders about the people who live there.

The third section of my porch is a secondary seating area.  When guests stop and join us for a spell on the porch giving them an equally lovely sitting area is only right.  I convinced my mother to give me a vintage set of outdoor furniture some time ago.  It has quite a few pieces that don't all need to go in the same place.  I am using some in my back yard and other pieces in the front.  My mother-in-law left me an older table and chairs that had seen better times.  She wanted to throw it out but I saw a few more good years left in the chairs.  I have painted them four or five different colors at this point.  To tie all the mixed pieces together I chose matte black spray paint.  It made a rag tag collection of castaway plastic pots and mixed furniture all look new and modern.

The bakers rack holds pots of herbs for easy access, a bit of privacy and a lovely scent.  I chose a simple but stylish outdoor fabric for inspiration for my space.

Style tip:  Start with fabric.  Paint and accessories are easier to match to fabric or an area rug rather than the other way around.

Below are some photos and details of where I find all my treasures, on sale of course!


 This is my inspiration fabric.  I am painting one of those chinese garden stools in the same bright green.  Will show you that next week I hope.  I am recovering the existing pillows with this outdoor fabric.  I got mine at Joann Fabrics.


 Finally found the perfect door mat.  I has all the right shades of gray and the neon green.  Available at Target.
The birdhouses are in the right shade of green and at 70% off who could resist.  Joann Fabrics again.  The flower pots are from everywhere.  Behind you can see one I recycled with black paint and the galvanized I think is from Ikea.  I pick them up everywhere.  Even hardware store bits make great planters with a few drainage holes added.  The herb labels are from Target.  Under $2.00 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment