Friday, December 13, 2013

Baby Nursery to Toddler Room

So if you are following me on Instagram you were promised a peek into our nursery room redo for Isabel.  I am still adding some finishing touches and doing some editing but here is a look at what we have done so far.

Her original design was a veggie garden look based off of a collection found at the ikea.  With my own style twist added of course.  Now that she is walking and approaching the one year mark it is time to change things for her safety and convenience as she explores the world around her.

This is the area rug in her room.  I would love to say it was my inspiration but that is not quite true.  It all began long before she was even a thought at the local farmers market.  I found a handmade quilt with butterflies on it and snatched it up for $20.  It was a strange mix of fabrics in red, brown, purple and pink.  I hung it on the wall in our guest bedroom for quite some time.  

Later, I ordered a few things for a party from oriental trading company.  One of them was a paper butterfly chandelier.  I had no place to use it at the time but I just had to have it.  Now it lives on her ceiling fan.  It is safely out of reach from her bed but they flutter so lovely in the breeze from the fan and even the a/c vent.

Many of her existing furnishing are still in place.  I added a new floor poof in hot pink from sams club. $19 was an amazing deal I couldn't pass up. The inspiration quilt is folded on the chair with a pillow in a vintage embroidered pillow case. Her boppy pillow makes a great head rest for mommy when it is time to snuggle.  We read together in this corner, thus the little pile of her favorite books on the vintage foot stool.  Just her height.

I love to mix old and new together for a collected feeling.

The china cabinet now houses her growing shoe collection.  It will make way for something else, perhaps storage shelving soon.  I just need to find a better location for the cabinet first.


Her crib is dressed with a pretty polka dot sheet from target and I have an alternate in cute little birds from pottery barn kids.  I love to shop in their clearance.  I find some great things at a reasonable price.  I have her newborn crochet blanket that we used in the hospital when she was born and a vintage crib blanket from when I was a baby.  It's true what they say about not making things last like they used to.  I think this blanket was vintage when I was born over 30 years ago.  It still has all it's chenille with no holes and no faded out colors.

The light in her room is soft and inviting.  Her bed floats in the center of her room but is closer to one side making room for walking and play time.  A shabby chic roman shade from target allow for light to filter in but still provides privacy when needed.  The subtle pink floral paisley print complements he decor nicely.

Toys are tucked away around the room. It keeps it interesting for her and helps her practice walking.

Glittered wall decals are scattered about in areas that she will notice.  These came from Joann fabrics. They are removable so I can change it up when the time comes with minimal effort.

Her ikea curtains on the closet still work with the new decor.  I added a bird decal for whimsy and a string of tin butterfly patio lights.  I put them on a timer so I don't have to remember to turn them off before bedtime.  They come on in the morning and shut off by bedtime.  It is nice to sit in the soft glow and cuddle up until they shut off at night.

What used to be her shoe shelves are now too small to hold her large collection.  Plus, her shoes are not as tiny as they used to be.  Her grandma gave her this pretty tea set and the current decorations are from gift bags at her baby shower.  I am working on some art to put up there.  That will have to be another post.

Here is a closer look at how it all goes together.  Her target Circo sheets, the Jenny Lind crib, dust ruffle from pottery barn kids and the amazing rug that brings it all together for $40 from home goods.

The cover is new with a vintage feel from pottery barn kids and another decal keeps her busy while I take care of dirty diapers.  The bunting is from simple dream2, one of my favorite etsy shops.  It is made from vintage sheets and pillow cases.  Perfect for my girl's space.  Her beta fish lives on the shelves above nestled in with her books and accents.  I need to tidy that a bit.  Again, probably another post.

This little vintage dress came from my grandmother's things.  It was much too delicate for her to wear but I enjoy seeing it hang on a satin hanger over her changing table.  It's something special that keeps her in my thoughts everyday.  She would have loved Isabel.

This sweet sign was a gift from her daddy.  He thought we would like it.  He was right.  It has all the right colors and keeps in style with the rest of the house.  Good job daddy.

Well, that's it for now.  I hope you like it as much as we do.  My girl is growing up and her room is growing with her.  Neutral pieces make way for the bright accents and keep the space grounded. Too much can be over stimulating and just plain ugly.  A balanced mix of old and new, simple and extravagant, bright and white can keep your space feeling fresh.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment