Saturday, September 6, 2014

Autumn is not the end but a sign of a new beginning.

I have been visiting family this past week and I am so refreshed.  When you venture outside the world you know and explore the unfamiliar it gives a fresh perspective.  I am always eager to return home to try new things and continue with the activities I love.  The Midwestern lifestyle is that of comfort and heart.  A hard day's work is rewarded with food prepared by loving hands and a soft place to relax.  I yearn for that in my home.  I enjoy parousing design blogs, social media and magazines looking for inspiration from other design enthusiasts.  I see beautiful things at every turn of a page or swipe of a finger.  Somehow I find that there are too many beautiful things to fit under one roof.  Every time I decide to empty my space I feel the vacancy and a need to fill it back up again.  When visiting with my aunt Ida, or so my daughter has dubbed her, I am embraced by a style that I myself cannot maintain.  We share a common love of coffe, pumpkins, creating, cooking and collecting but our personal styles couldn't be further apart.  Still, there is a comfortableness I find in her home.  She has unknowingly given me an epiphany.  As you may know I have been struggling with my personal identity.  Who am I now? It struck me that as a single mom of three she was forced to tighten her belt many times and sacrifice some of the things she enjoys to provide for her family.  She has done so with grace and beauty and still her home is filled with the things that make her house a home.  How does she do it?  Well, as I pondered the matter I noticed that she has all the things that make her happy out where she can see them.  Eureka! That's what I have been doing wrong.  I am tossing about without direction because I need a constant reminder of who I am as a person and where we are as a family.  I took this new concept home with me and began right away.

September first is long enough to wait to set out my first pumpkin.  My daughter now shares this passion and was enthralled to see them make their way even to her little kitchen.  I unpacked the faux autumn leaves (I do live in Florida remember it's not even close to turning colors yet) and spread them about in all the locations I frequent in my house daily.  The buffet functions as a mantel for me so that was the first place I started.  It is the centerpiece of my keeping room and the first thing you see when you enter the house.  I have been collecting feathers from my turkey and have quite an assortment now.  I still plan to add some photos and seasonal prints but for now this is what I've got going.
 

Next was the dining table which needs to be minimal for easy changing of the linens. Mercury glass is my thing in this room and a slowly growing collection of pieces has been collected from discount stores for very low prices. I have not spent over $20 on any one item.  This year designers have caught on and my self control is challenged every time I go into home goods.
My side tables also got a sprinkling of autumn decor with some candles and gourds for added color. Here are the before and after photos of each table.
This little vignette actually does double duty. The dish holds those pesky charger cords that always disappear but it keeps them from drawing too much attention. 
Where I hang my car keys and such also got a dose of fall. The tall canister is from ikea and does a super job of holding a dog leash and a can of sunscreen.
My dough bowl has been holding a collection of air plants that fall from my trees during rainstorms and my mercury glass gourds. A few leaves and twigs and it's ready for cooler weather.
The coffee table/ottoman took a bit more time.  I had to find the stems I wanted at my local michael's but at 40% off I was glad they still had some.  If only I could just go out to the yard and clip some from a tree. Oh well, these are almost as good as the real thing. The tin cans hold pecans for shelling and snacking. Someday they may be from my trees instead of a farm in Georgia.
I hope you enjoyed the tour of my keeping room.  I'll post again of each room as it transforms for the season.  

It seems to me that less things is a simpler way to live but not always easier.  When you see what you have you don't feel as empty.  As my favorite things make their way out from behind doors and drawers I see my modern country style emerging.  Nothing has to match or stay in a certain color palette.  As long as you find use for it and you love it you will always find it beautiful to look at.  Objects don't have to be expensive to have value.  Usefulness is a beautiful thing. Country style is collected over time.  A home should reflect those who live there and the love they share.  Visiting family has inspired me to cherish what I have and to challenge my frugality.  Make sure the more important things.  I think the best trips are the ones that lead you home.

No comments:

Post a Comment