Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ramblings of an Overachiever

I just got back from a weekend getaway to the country living fair in Atlanta.  I wasn't sure what I would find there.  It was fabulous weather but the yellow jackets were a bit of a nuisance.  I was a bit concerned about my baby being stung. No worries, we came away unscathed.  My wallet was a bit lighter though.  I found a fabulous vendor from New England who had some fantastic items in bulk. Think a barrel full of wooden feet. A stack of dough bowls or those fabulous little bathtubs on a stand.  My husband and I brought home a dough bowl that is about three feet long and an old wine bottle with the original crate in a fabulous shade of green.  I have quickly displayed our treasures and put them to use.  As you know, my house is deceptively small. Most passersby think it is large and spacious.  I like to call it efficient.  That is code for tiny rooms with no way to open it up.  I can't choose form over function.  Things must have a purpose or they risk being donated to the local thrift shop.  We use the wine bottle as a change jar.  It sits perfectly under the hooks where we put our keys.  The bowl is my one luxury in the space.  It currently is filled with a seasonal display of pumpkins and gourds, acorns, berries and autumn leaves.  Faux of course, but lovely.

The front room is where I welcome visitors and spend my evenings after the baby has gone to bed.  It is my one "grown up" space.  Although it has a few toys and is baby proofed it quickly makes the transition back to what we used to be, stylish.  I decided to take this little trip to focus on what is important in life.  My mother says I need to recognize my limitations.  "You can juggle things better than most but you can't do it all" she says.  I say why not give it a try.  I am an overachiever of the worst kind.  I think if I find a balance and simplify some things along with careful time management I can have my cake, frost it, add some sprinkles, post on Instagram, and eat it too.  Since I got back I have been cleaning, organizing, downsizing, reevaluating and formulating a plan.  I have some very big ideas for R.K. Finch design.  I hope to implement them soon.  I jot down notes and sketch a little doodle.  It seems crazy but I believe I can get my home life in order so that I can grow my business much faster.  I have studied what is popular, what price point is best, and what people are missing in the marketplace.  

On top of it all I have been doing my best to reinvent myself.  I want to be an inspiration to my daughter.  I want to be able to show her that I am still pretty amazing.  My best years are not those behind but those still to come.  I want her to see that her parents love each other more than when they first met.  Being a housewife is an honorable occupation.  Country life is a shelter from the world.  Gracious living is not expensive.  Generosity is essential to happiness.  Find joy in the little things.  Take care of yourself so that you have the ability to care for others.

I have been working on my personal style and putting more thought into what I look like.  It is a challenge since I am out of practice.  I finally dyed my hair.  I haven't done that since before I got pregnant.  No weird colors just a fresh shade of me, minus the gray ones.  It felt good to get that done.  I don't know why I punish myself by not feeling good about who I am.  I deserve to be treated better.  I'm going to work harder at it.  My husband bought me a beautiful winter coat on our trip.  I loved it but in my usual way I put it back because of the price.  It was in clearance and he didn't even blink but I feel some need to deny myself.  He pressed on and now I am so glad to have it.  I did need a dressy winter coat.  

The fall crisp air followed us home and I enjoy my mornings with the back door open and the little birds chirping.  It transports me somewhere happy.  I found myself missing home this weekend.  Dorothy was right, there is no place like home.  It is where I want to be always.  It inspires me to work at it and keep improving it.  This year is rushing by and as the new one approaches I am eager to set some goals, make some plans, work out a schedule, draw some pie charts, no just kidding.  No charts.  I am  making some plans for another incredible year.  This one may be hard to top, but the overachiever in me says "bring it on".



No comments:

Post a Comment